Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Check-in with the doc

I met with my doctor, Dr. S. this morning for a check-in with my process of tapering off of the anti-depressant Celexa. I started the weaning process on March 12th. I've now been completely off the medication since last Monday, a whole 8 days. I am still having severe withdrawal symptoms; dizziness, inability to focus, periods of hyper affect and general fatigue. The first week of the changes in tapering (20 to 15, 15 to 10, etc) have been the hardest in this process.

We talked again about by fasting blood levels. Dr. S. had me take a 12-hour fasting blood level about 6 weeks ago. My blood sugar was normal, but my blood glucose, insulin level was very high. I am not diabetic, and she told me that I am not pre-diabetic, but that my levels are a pre-diabetic indicator. She didn't do a big scare tactic with me about me having to go on a crash diet and work out an hour a day. I was pleased to discover that Dr. S. was actually listening to me, taking my history, and planning out a method of change that I can actually do.

Today she suggested a medication to help with my high insulin level called Glucophage/Metformin. It is not a weight loss drug, but for me would act as one, allowing my body to process the insulin better and distribute what it needs to so my body's metabolism can function better. Dr. S. said that my body has probably been like this my entire life. It's not something I caused to happen. In other words, not my fault. That I could do the same things as someone else my weight to and would not lose the pounds because of the way my body holds onto things.

I mean, here is someone saying 'hey, maybe it's not your fault that your fat', and I feel so guilty about it.

No comments: