Tuesday, June 12, 2007

identify my orchid








I was just given an orchid by Omar, the concierge, in the building where I work. Omar said someone gave him one last week and he brought it home and it died within two days. The same person gave him another one this week, but he didn't want it, so he gave it to me. Hurrah! I wanted to buy an orchid in October, but my mom and I went to the plant store and discovered that orchids are pricey. I've never spent more than $12 on a plant, and shelling out $40 for a plant that I don't know how to take care of seems like a gamble. When Omar offered the plant to me I thinking my eyes bugged out. I hope he really did want to give it to me and that I didn't somehow beg him for it. If he didn't want to give it to me he wouldn't have offered, right? I sort of have a problem with this kind of thing, so I've been working on it by saying yes and focusing on their generosity and not my own guilt.

So, I have no idea what kind of orchid this is. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a phalenopsis, but beyond that... It has 4 small, rounded flowers that are a pale yellow green. The middle has some pink spotting. I will try to bring my camera to work tomorrow so I can snap a photo to post here.

No comments: